Together, we create the ingenious technological systems and innovations that impact and improve people's lives every single day.
Even if you haven't heard the name Thales before, you've definitely benefited from our inventiveness.
Travelled by train recently?
Thales technology gave you electronic platform information and our signalling probably got you safely to your destination.
Love watching films at 35,000 feet?
Our Thales InFlyt Experience technology helps you laugh and cry your way from one side of the world to the other.
Checked your bank balance from your smartphone today?
Thales protects the information systems of 19 of the world's 20 largest banks and safeguards 3.7 billion UK transactions every year.
We reinvest 7% of our revenue in Research & Development in the UK - and local engineers and technicians make up a significant number of our 20,000-strong team of global scientists. Together we supply invention, ingenuity and inspiration across five core areas: Aerospace, Space, Transportation, Defence and Security. Here are a few more of our highlights:
From fixed and rotary-wing platforms to people-pleasing entertainment systems, we supply some of the world's major airlines and governments with cutting-edge technology, equipment and service solutions. And we lead the way in terms of sophisticated onboard systems and full-flight training simulators.
- 80% of the world's pilots have been trained on a Thales synthetic training device
- Our high-capacity SATCOM systems allow airline passengers to use their mobile and go online while they're flying between destinations
- Two out of every three aircraft in the world take off and land using Thales equipment
- All commercial Airbus planes use Thales' avionics suite.
The European Space Agency, the European Global Navigation Satellite System Agency, Copernicus: The European Earth Observation Programme - with clients like these, it's no surprise that Thales is Europe's number one provider of civil and military satellites.
We design, integrate, test and operate high-performance satellite technologies across the world.This involves supplying weather satellites and infrared atmospheric instruments. We develop radars and design probes for space missions too; and if that's not enough to whet your appetite, we're also a worldwide leader when it comes to the telecommunications payloads which receive, amplify and redirect the signals that keep the world connected.
- We're major partners in Exomars – Europe's first mission to land on Mars
- We're a global leader in innovative military and civil satcoms including: Syracuse, Sicral, Athena Fidus and SGDC
- Thales Alenia Space is supplying 50% of the pressurised volume of the International Space Station and leading Iridium Next, the world's largest constellation of 81 satellites.
Getting commuters from A to B safely and on time is the service our customers take pride in delivering every day. In the UK alone, our clients range from Transport for London and Network Rail to Manchester Passenger Transport Executive and an array of train operating companies. Our solutions include signalling, train control, axle counters, interlocking, train protection and warning systems - not to mention services such as supervision and control, integrated communications and security and information management.
- We maintain 95% of Network Rail's telecommunications infrastructure
- Globally, 4,000 metro, bus and tram stations are equipped with our fare collecting systems
- We employ more rail signalling and telecoms engineers than anyone else in the UK
- We’re behind the National Rail Enquiries Online Journey Planner and the Rail Planner Live app for Android and iPhone.
Whether it's on land, at sea or in the air, we bring a wealth of experience to all dimensions of our customers' defence needs in critical environments. From electronic warfare and sensor systems like the state-of-the-art SMART-L 3D multi-beam radar, to precision-guided missile systems such as STARstreak, few companies can match our ability to offer proven solutions to protect soldiers, sailors and air personnel in the defence of national interests.
- Thales is the European number one in defence electronics
- We've supplied defence technology to the Royal Navy for more than 100 years
- Our sonar and optronics masts are the eyes and ears of the latest class of Royal Navy submarines
- Thales's cryptography solutions are deployed in 22 NATO countries
- We’ve delivered more than 110 helicopter simulators to customers in 25 countries.
Our expertise is unsurpassed in the design and supply of critical systems for promoting the safety and security of people, places and sensitive information. Secure mobile communication systems like TEOPAD; encryption technology; command and control systems and chemical, biological, radiological and nuclear solutions, are just a small part of our services offering.
- We're world number one in security for banking transactions
- We have 50 highly skilled cyber security specialists working for civil and military customers around the UK
- Thales has supplied identity management systems in more than 25 countries, with 300 million identity documents produced to date.
In no other area could this be truer than in Thales Research & Technology.
This is the heart of our most innovative, spine-tingling ideas. We're inspired by the inconceivable complexities of technology. We're bold enough to explore the mind-bending boundaries of modern engineering. Together, we're driven to do things differently and make things better.
Take, for example, our signalling and infrastructure solutions for the world’s longest rail tunnel, the Transtec Gotthard Consortium. Or our passion to print enterprise-level products, in three dimensions and provide stronger return on investment. Or even our powerfully protective solutions for encryption and cyber-security that safeguard critical environments the world over.
Thales Research & Technology (UK) Ltd is part of the Thales global network of research centres which support a wide range of internal and external customers. Our highly skilled workforce of scientists, mathematicians and specialist engineers excel in a wide range of capabilities. And the four Queen's Awards we've received for Technology are a great testament to that.
Wherever we work - Aerospace, Space, Transportation, Defence or Security - we have exposure to a vast variety of projects. Join us in Reading and who knows what brain-teasing technology you'll be working on too. From job rotations to challenging projects that enable you to flex your creative muscle, you'll have the opportunity to help us solve the troubles of tomorrow, today.